[MUD-Dev] DGN: MMOG Game Economies

William Leader leader at k2wrpg.org
Thu Nov 3 13:46:58 CET 2005

Christopher D. Chapman wrote:

> the part about every character accumulating wealth is important
> because a price index will continue to rise as the measure of
> wealth in the world will always increase.  because, essentially,
> people don't need to spend money to make money.  the price index
> will continue to float until monsters are basically dropping
> nothing and merchant prices are exorbitant in order to compensate.
> newer players can't get any money.  older players don't have to
> spend any money -- because they can gain power and achieve goals
> without gaining (or spending) money.  the whole system will shut
> down.

This isn't exactly true, You do have to spend some money to make
money. Food, magic supplies, armor wax, There will still need to be
some ways for money to exit the system. Looking back at my previous
post I didn't really point that out. You do need some place for
players to spend money side from buying from other players. The idea
is that if the amound of money going in is controlled, then your
sinks don't have to be a 104,000 platinum piece horse (my appologies
to SOE). From a players perspective, I see something like that and
say ugh, thats just a huge money sink. But when the the sink is
something as trivial as food, or other supplies then I don't notice.

> the problem i'm describing isn't something we encounter in the
> real world.  it stems from the fact that in the real world, for
> someone to advance in power, someone else doesn't.  in the game
> world, everyone can advance in power to absolutely no detriment to
> anyone else.

Well thats a whole other problem. :-)

-Will