DGN: Emergent Behaviors spawned from - Re: [MUD-Dev] SOC: Will company sanctioned cheating hurt theMMOcommunity?

Adam Spivey adam.spivey at gmail.com
Sat May 28 10:00:35 CEST 2005

Michael Hartman wrote:
> Otis Viles wrote:
>> On 5/19/05, David Wright <david.a.wright at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I still think that unless you've got a budding Jane Goodall out
>> there wanting to research "Orcs in the Mist", the system is
>> largely going to be wasted on the players. Unless someone is
>> sneaking around and following the orcs as they meet up and decide
>> pecking order, all of the mechanics of these groups forming is
>> going to be completely lost. It's the "if a tree falls in the
>> forest and no one is there to hear it, does it make any sound?"
>> question applied to game content.

> This is pretty much how I look at it as well. It reminds me of
> coding projects I have occasionally let myself get sucked into
> that ended up being 1000 times cooler for me than for any actual
> player. Or sometimes, its somewhat cool for the end user, but the
> end user never has the opportunity to appreciate everything going
> on behind the scenes.

So why not draw the player's focus to all of the cool stuff under
the hood? An in-game newspaper, some postings on your game's
website, almost any medium could be used -- and better still, /these
too could be automated/.

The Daily Dragon, 1 copper Rangers in the forbidden forest report an
increased number of wargs. Could this be a sign of the end times?
Aragorn says "goblins often use wargs as scouts before they setup
base camps. I remember one time there was an entire goblin city
created before the townsfolk noticed, they seem to creep up at the
worst times." Indeed the worst times these are, the King has asked
all able bodied people to do their part and hunt down these wargs as
well as any goblins you might find before the threat gets any
worse. A bounty of 2 copper for each warg fang shall be given at the
militia office. Continued on parchment 2 [1]

  [1]Yes all names and concepts shamelessly stolen