[MUD-Dev] DESIGN: Loot on demand (was: Will company sanctioned cheating hurt theMMOcommunity?)

Jaycen Rigger jaycen.rigger at sbcglobal.net
Fri May 13 08:04:13 CEST 2005

"Freeman, Jeff" <jfreeman at soe.sony.com>  wrote:

> When you want a magic sword, you go to a website and find out
> where there's a sword for you to get. We could eliminate that sort
> of thing by putting it in game: A seer or soothsayer sort of NPC
> that you tell what you want, and they gaze into a crystal ball and
> tell you who you gotta kill.

Hear me out.  I've wondered for a long time why no one is doing this
(or maybe they are and I just don't play those games).

I give experience for killing monsters.  Crafters get experience
when they sell their crafted items from their vendors to other
player characters.  Anyone can get experience if they're grouped up
and someone in the group kills a monster and the experience is
divided up to the group.

Experience is another resource/commodity for us.  You can use
experience to buy certain special abilities (D&D 3rd ed. calls them
"Feats").  Bards can buy new songs that do different things,
fighters can get extra attacks or off-hand weapon ability, thieves
buy backstabing levels, etc.

Well, I didn't have anything for crafters to buy.  I've yanked out
the current system for Master Crafting items.  It tries
automatically once a crafter gets to a certain skill level, but it's
a random chance thing.  I'm going to let crafters just spend
experience per item to automatically make it Master Crafted once
they reach the appropriate skill level.

Mages can spend experience on turning a Master Crafted item into a
magic item.  Z experience points buys you a +1 on a sword or armor,
up to a +3.  Priests can spend experience to push the + on an item
to 4 or 5 and make it "holy".  We already have a system for creating
wands and things that can cast charges for spells.  It's nothing to
write up an Enchant Item spell and a Permanancy spell to start and
then lock the process on a magic item.

The spell requirements in the process also means we can kind of
control how prolific magic items are by controlling the amount of
the spell components that make their way into the game.

Player-crafted magic items.  I love AD&D 2nd ed.

Thanks,

Jaycen