[MUD-Dev] [ANN] Solipsis, a shared virtual worlds in python

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Wed May 11 08:03:50 CEST 2005

--<cut>--
From: Emmanuel Breton <emmanuel.breton at logilab.fr>
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.python.announce
Subject: [ANN] Solipsis, a shared virtual worlds in python
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 11:23:51 +0200

Hello every one,

  I am pleased to announce the release of Solipsis, licensed under the
  GNU Lesser General Public License.

  Solipsis is a peer-to-peer system for a massively multi-participant
  virtual world. Like any real pear-to-pear system, there is no server
  at all: it only relies on end-users' machines.

Overview
--------

  The shared virtual worlds of nowadays MMORPG strongly rely on
  privately owned servers. These servers are an expensive bottleneck
  that limits their scalability. In addition, these servers bound the
  freedom of the virtual world inhabitants and the imagination of the
  world-builders and developers. Solipsis solves these problems with a
  free and open-source system.

  Solipsis is a public virtual territory. The world is initially empty
  and only users will fill it by creating and running entities. No
  pre-existing cities, habitants nor scenario to respect...

  Solipsis is open-source, so everybody can enhance the protocols and
  the algorithms. Moreover, the system architecture clearly separates
  the different tasks, so that peer-to-peer hackers as well as
  multimedia geeks can find a good place to have fun here!

Getting the software
--------------------

    The current version is 0.8.1, available as a tar.gz and as a windows
    installer

    http://solipsis.netofpeers.net/wiki/DownLoad

Official Web site
-----------------

    http://solipsis.netofpeers.net/wiki/HomePage

Requirements

  Current implementations of node and navigator require:

    - python=E2(at least 2.3)
    - wx-python=E2(at least 2.5)
    - twisted=E2 (at least 1.3, 2.0 not tested yet)
    - Python Imaging Library (PIL)

Enjoy!
--<cut>--

--<cut>--