[MUD-Dev] Concerning "Groups"

Jason Downs downsj at downsj.com
Thu May 5 15:46:17 CEST 2005

In message
<2A8070B1F6EBEF41927CE65B76E8490D79D1C1 at mail-sd4.ad.soe.sony.com>,
"Koster, Raph" writes:

> Pretty much every combat mud had concrete grouping.

Yes, and for some reason I added the concept of groups to my
non-combat MUD way back, probably around 1993 or 94.

They were basically just chat channels, except for one aspect:

  @group[/switches] [<argument>]
  [...]
  This command accepts the following switches:
  [...]
    /follow       Begin following your group leader around.
  [...]

I had auto-follow.

I think Diku had it before that, at least I seem to recall being
able to automatically follow people around when I was playing that a
very long time ago.  I don't know of any other TinyM* which did,
though.

The MMORPG world certainly would be a different place without
/follow.  Such a small thing, but oh so important in the grander
scheme of things.

--
Jason Downs
downsj at downsj.com

 	I see a sky full of the stars that change our minds
	and lead us back to a world we would not face.