[MUD-Dev] Blog about GDC implies changes to MMORPG population

Koster, Raph rkoster at soe.sony.com
Tue May 3 18:48:57 CEST 2005

Michael Hartman wrote:

> If you want an example of a system that encourages varied levels
> or at least supports it actively, look to City of Heroes. Their
> sidekicking system is a sheer stroke of brilliance.

I've described sidekicking as "a brilliant hack." It's a hack
because the underlying problem is a systemic one with levels, and we
ought to be attacking the problem there, instead of layering on more
byzantine rules. (This doesn't take away from the brilliance of the
solution, btw--I do think it was a stroke of genius).

I feel the same way about devices like no-drop items and
"soulbinding."  First introduced in order to address twinking
problems (which are at root because of levels), and now bandied
about as a means of eliminating real-money-trades (RMT), it's both a
step towards single-player gaming and a band-aid on top of the real
problems.

-Raph