[MUD-Dev] XP as gift (was: Attractive Grouping)

Eli Stevens (WG.c) listsub at wickedgrey.com
Thu Mar 31 06:58:57 CEST 2005

Richard A. Bartle wrote:

> Well, there go all your solo players.

<troll>And good riddance!  Go play Final Fantasy.</troll>

Seriously, though - there go all my solo players who want to do
whatever it is you need lots of XP to do.

If we are talking WoW/EQ/etc., then yeah - not much else to do.  But
if you provide other things to do that don't need XP, then solo
players can do those things.

Make raid performace, for example, depend on how much XP you have,
and solo killing depend on gold (which could drop from solo and raid
targets) and the system seems to fall into place pretty quickly.

Yeah, that means you've just split the content tracks, yadda yadda.

You could also plug it into your city-building influence (a'la
SWG). Yes, it's a bit odd to think that smacking orcs makes you a
good city planner, but at least we know you have friends who might
place their house next to yours.  The point is that you can plug
this idea into any system that you want some measure of
plays-well-with-others beforehand.

Aside, I don't see the solo player as much of a target market.
Yeah, you can still get your $10 a month from them, but they don't
help make your world sticky.  But that's a horse of a different
color, and I don't feel up to beating it right now.  ;)

Eli