[MUD-Dev] Blog about GDC implies changes to MMORPG population

Vincent Archer archer at frmug.org
Wed Mar 23 17:19:03 CET 2005

According to Mike Rozak:

> Plus, I'd probably design for twice as much content as the
> "average" player. That means 1600 and 576 hours,
> respectively. That's a lot of rats to kill... despite my
> mathematical mistake, the numbers (if they're valid) imply
> signficantly less content.

Incidentally, that seems to be the bet World of Warcraft made. When
compared to the 10-month-20-hours era game (Everquest), they have a
bit more content, but when you consider how many hours of playing
are required to go from level 1 to max level, the numbers look more
like the base numbers (800 hours vs 300 hours).

Having a "/played" of 30 days when you reached level 60 in EQ wasn't
surprising. People hit level 60 in World of Warcraft quite often
with /played of less than a dozen days, notably if they have played
MMORPG before and don't have to learn the ropes.

	Vincent Archer			Email:	archer at frmug.org

All men are mortal.  Socrates was mortal.  Therefore, all men are Socrates.
							(Woody Allen)