[MUD-Dev] Efficient AI?

Douglas Goodall dgoodall at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 22 20:15:04 CET 2005

Brian Lindahl wrote:
>olag at ifi.uio.no wrote:

>> the sole rationale for my proposal was execution speed. Maybe you
>> can hardcode neural networks and get similar speed, but you
>> probably would need more stateinformation? So it will eat more
>> memory and thereby reduce the efficency of the cache?

> Generally, neural networks CAN be hard-coded, but this removes any
> ability to train them in an online fashion (help generate better
> AI over time). Also, this would essentially be a genetic
> algorithm, using a large training set to generate a neural network
> that provides a reliable and believable output. Neural networks
> are best used to solve dynamic problems, but CAN be used
> statically.

Neural Networks can always be hard-coded. Unless I'm confused... I'm
not an AI expert. Here's my reasoning: NNs can be represented as
Cellular Automata, which can be represented as k-tape TMs, which can
be represented as single-tape TMs. Hard-coding doesn't have to
remove their ability to "learn," but making a "learning" single-tape
TM would be... challenging.

I'm not sure how converting the NN to a hash would be an improvement
over starting with a static method. Cellular Automata could be a bit
faster than a Neural Net, and even I coudl convert a NN to
CA. However, if you want the CA implementation to keep learning,
"training" would be tricky. Or so I imagine. Did I mention that I'm
not an AI expert?