[MUD-Dev] Blog about GDC implies changes to MMORPG population

Max Battcher me at worldmaker.net
Wed Jun 8 13:14:19 CEST 2005

ghovs wrote:
> Cruise said, among other things:

>> It's been suggested in the past to have a "family" in game, to
>> deal with character death. Why not take it a step further, and
>> give all players a proper family?

> It's interesting that you mention this, and I wouldn't mind seeing
> it happen.

> I've seen in-game 'families' like a host of players sticking
> together outside of traditional guild settings through the use of
> surnames, as well as players like myself who keep a flock of
> characters able to function in concert to a common goal, or a goal
> of only one of that flock (it varies).

> I find it adds a dimension to my game play which increases my
> enjoyment. Supporting and making visible that style of play,
> wether it is performed by one or more players on any given set of
> characters, through an evolving family is a fascinating
> concept. Might be something to learn and adapt from the Sims? It
> sounds feasible.

In some of the heavy social roleplaying MU* (particularly in the
MUSH/MUCK spectrum, like Amber MUSH as an example) families play
important roles and are never decided upon lightly.  It creates
bonds between players who might not have met before, and can often
provide a good set of mentors to draw the new players into the game
(in the case of Amber MUSH, family backbiting is an entire game in
itself). Connected to permanent character deaths, families add a
sense of history and continuity to the world.

I would like to see the graphical MMO* that takes on families.

--
--Max Battcher--
http://www.worldmaker.net/