[MUD-Dev] DGN: Reasons for play [was: Emergent Behaviors spawned from...]

P J munry01 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 28 18:02:52 CEST 2005

--- Lydia Leong <lwl at black-knight.org> wrote:

> Many of the people who play "The Sims", for instance, are getting
> something extremely different out of that play experience than is
> readily addressed using the A/E/S/K model. Until we figure out how
> to address this audience, the market for MMOGs will remain
> limited.

Note - I have NOT played the SIMS online - love the singleplayer
game. I read the back of the box and it absolutely totally turned me
off from even trying it.

One of the differences between Richard's model and actual players
desires, needs, whatnot - is motivation.

Yes, they may exhibit a killer instinct or a socializing instinct
within the bounds of what they are given to work with - but WHY are
they choosing these?  It's the motivation that will answer the
questions of what may be missing that can be supplied.

The key difference for me between MMGs and 'games' of other genres
is that play is possible.  Not competition, play - there is a huge
difference. One of the holy grails would be to find activities that
people like to pursue - simply for the sake of doing them vs. any
fat juicy rewards, cause they are FUN.

Many designers may consider 'play' content as fluff - and it is, but
it's that very fluff that rounds out the world and gives players
alternative toys in the sandbox. As has been noted in this thread
several times - if you design for achievers - achievers are
primarily what you are going to get - yet if you look at a MMG as a
world, instead of 'game' - you need ALL kinds of players and all
kinds of motivations to make that world rich and interesting for
it's inhabitants.

I have no doubt that time and funding restraints preclude throwing
in some of the 'fun' stuff, but if it's not done you are simply
going to get more of the same.  Not that that is necessarily a bad
thing - but if you want to educate your players that MMGs are more
than just games - you have to give them more than just the game.

Games end - they have a winner, both conditions are not true in
MMGs. The part that never ends is the world - and in my experience
is what keeps folks around long after the 'gamers' have moved on to
the next bright shiny.

Ownership and caring for something outside one's own character is
HUGE. Pets, houses, towns, guilds - doesn't really matter what the
other is, as long as there is something to care for outside of self.

Minigames with rankings are good - the bragging factor is huge, even
if it isn't directly attatched to power.

The ability to create may be a two-edged sword for designers, but
have a little faith the populace will sort it out. Good tools and
safeguards would be the designers primary focus - don't worry so
much about the 'quality' of your players creations. Bad artists
won't have a following - great artists will have a chance to shine.

Pride in accomplishments means so much more to the player when it's
THEIR accomplishment, and not simply following the game from A to B
to C as laid out by someone else. Players need opportunities to
identify and achieve their own goals - with safeguards to make sure
that random Joe User's goals aren't to destroy everyone else's
experience.