DGN: Emergent Behaviors spawned from - Re: [MUD-Dev]SOC:Willcompany sanctioned cheating hurt theMMOcommunity?

cruise at casual-tempest.net cruise at casual-tempest.net
Wed Jul 20 14:39:42 CEST 2005

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 06:27:20 -0400
Lydia Leong <lwl at black-knight.org> wrote:
> On Jul 17, 8:01am, HRose wrote:
>> cruise wrote:

> "cruise" cites CoH's giant monsters as an example of raid-type
> content.  They are, but only kinda -- giant monsters can be taken
> down by a group of random heroes without any significant amount of
> coordination, and the fights generally last only a few
> minutes. Raids in other games typically require large,
> well-coordinated groups that are working together for many hours, if
> not days. The closest to this that CoH gets is the Hamidon
> encounter, which does require coordination but is not instanced and
> typically doesn't take more than two or three hours to complete.
>
> Clearly, it's possible to build raid-type content -- i.e.,
> challenging content that requires large groups of players -- without
> building what's typically thought of as a "raid" today. But it
> requires some different design approaches.

Which was pretty much my point - why is the only large-scale (ie.
requiring several standard groups) content the enourmous several-hour long
high-end raids? Why don't more games have smaller, easier, shorter
versions for lower levels? If the answer is because the only reason for
them is the loot drops, and players don't otherwise enjoy the process,
then there's obviously a more fundamental question of why is your combat
system so unenjoyable? Or, should  you perhaps give out more than just
loot and XP - a badge system (like AA or CoH) that records the acheivement
long after any loot gained has been discarded.

If the only reason raids are high-end is because high-level players are
the only people with the time and incentive to do them, then it's
propbably fair to say that something else should be found for high-level
players to do that's a bit more enjoyable.