[MUD-Dev] TECH: Securing Symetric Encryption.

Lydia Leong lwl at black-knight.org
Fri Jul 15 12:42:36 CEST 2005

On Jul 14, 10:33am, William Leader wrote:

> I want to be able to secure the connection between a client and
> server using encryption.

[original post's lengthy explanation snipped]

What you're trying to accomplish seems to be password-authenticated
key exchange.

Wikipedia has a decent starting-point reference page:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Password-authenticated_key_agreement

I strongly recommend utilizing an existing algorithm and, if
possible, an existing implementation. Crypto is very hard to get
right.

Also worth reading: "Policing Online Games" by Peter Wayner.
(Although, if you're going to own a single book on cryptography, it
should be Bruce Schneier's "Applied Cryptography".)

	-- Lydia