[MUD-Dev] Subjective test facilities

Lydia Leong lwl at black-knight.org
Wed Jul 13 20:33:27 CEST 2005

On Jul 12,  1:48pm, "Richard A. Bartle" wrote:

> Would developers be interested in being able to observe the
> effects of lag, latency, audio and video degradation under their
> direct control in laboratory conditions? Or is knowing the ping
> enough?

There are three major components of effective transmission quality:
Latency (your "ping"), packet loss, and jitter (the variability in
your latency). So knowing the ping is definitely not enough.

Games (and VoIP applications, among other things) experience varying
levels of impact from these variables, based on the way that they
buffer data, handle retransmits, etc. Tools that can simulate
different WAN environments (like Shunra) are highly useful for doing
specific tests on specific codebases, but it's difficult to
generalize a set of results from laboratory testing.

Nonetheless, still very interesting, I think, especially if the lab
were willing to test specific games upon request.

	-- Lydia