[MUD-Dev] Blog about GDC implies changes to MMORPG population

Sean Howard squidi at squidi.net
Sat Jul 9 13:36:40 CEST 2005

"Morris Cox" <morriscox at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/24/05, Sean Howard <squidi at squidi.net> wrote:

>>  Design (strategic).
>>  Gather (tactical).
>>  Build (logistical).
>>  Sell (diplomatic).

> Sounds like personality temperaments to me. Strategic is NT
> (iNtutitive Thinking), Tactical is SP (Sensing Perceiving), and
> logistical is SJ (Sensing Judging), with diplomatic being NF
> (iNtuitive Feeling). NTs seems to be the most common online (at
> least they were the most common for many years) (least common
> offline) and SJs are the most common off the Internet.

My main problem with termperments is that, despite being absolutely
brilliant insights into how decisions are made, most people tend to
use them merely to explain personality types. How many discussions
have you had where somebody said "Don't mind him, he's just a
Rational", or something? Hell, I've been guilty of it myself.

However, I feel that the real benefits to these temperments is as a
limited predictive device. If you understand that people have
different preferences in how they make decisions, and why - what
they get from it, what they want from it, and what they
subconsciously need from it - you can have a little bit more insight
into how people play. Like I always say, science predicts, fantasy
explains.

For the record, I don't think NTs have been most common online for a
long, long, long time. Due to the popularity of the internet, it
seems to have pretty much the same proportions as the "real world".

--
Sean Howard
www.squidi.net