[MUD-Dev] WoW and humor

Amanda Walker amanda at alfar.com
Sun Jan 30 18:37:02 CET 2005

On Jan 28, 2005, at 5:19 AM, Dread Quixadhal wrote:

> the occasional surprise and quite a bit of humor buried inside.  I
> got a chuckle from the nurse mob named "Michelle Belle", which I'm
> hoping is named for the Beatles song.  I laughed my a** off when I
> encounterd the Fearbot 4000 mechanical harvester in the human
> farmlands.

This is something important.  I, also, found that the plethora of
inside jokes, obscure (or not so obscure) references, and general
level of self-referential humor (many of the voice emotes, for
example), reminded *much* more of classic MUDs than most current
MMORPGs do.  Many current games, especially licensed ones, end up
being terribly earnest about their setting and backstory.  WoW, by
not taking itself entirely seriously, ends up being quite a bit more
fun.

Amanda Walker