[MUD-Dev] DESIGN: WoW quests and content

P J munry01 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 28 20:08:55 CET 2005

It's the little things.

Technically yes, you have Fed-Ex, kill collection, talk to, etc. but
the devil is in the details.

Are the quests great works of literature?  Not by a longshot - but
most of them are FUNNY, the memorable ones at least.  It's a little
thing - but humor on it's own is enough to get me to do something I
might not do for any other reason. WoW has a wonderful ability to
make obsure references to both current culture - and itself. I've
played so many of these over the last 10 years it's scary - but WoW
is the first game I've ever found myself laughing out loud at what I
just read, heard or seen on my screen.

Another aspect of most quests is a dynamic feel in the world.  Lots
of quests have interactive objects if the quest is active. Smoke and
mirrors - sure - much different than wacking something over the head
for a drop (which they also have), not much - but it FEELS different
to actually open a book or a chest or pick up something off the
ground.

Some quests also have some awesome staging, they are worth doing for
the eyecandy alone.  Opening the door to the hidden chamber in
Uldaman may be straight outta Indiana Jones, but it's AWESOME. There
are many many quests when you interact with the quest NPC they DO
SOMETHING - don't just stand there with text in your face - you are
making something happen inside the world. While not a permanent
effect that some crave - it IS affecting the world right there on
the spot in front of your (and anyone in the area's) eyes.

As several have mentioned, the way quests have been structured to
level and leading you about to new areas of the world you are ready
for (although some really hate this feature) is by and large
approved of by the players.