[MUD-Dev] Alternative team based approaches to game-play

Johan A asteroid at rocketmail.com
Fri Jan 28 16:05:27 CET 2005

cruise <cruise at casual-tempest.net> wrote:
> Johan A wrote:
>> olag at ifi.uio.no wrote:

>> If the game is designed for group play foremost and the players
>> have had time to practise and learn their class then everyone in
>> theory, should be equally skilled. Again, this is only in theory
>> of course ;)

> Reading through these posts, something struck me - has anyone
> tried having seperate pools of XP for solo and team play? Or at
> least an seperate metric for success in teams?

> Dieing while in a team would affect only the teamXP (and maybe
> hurt the other player's teamXP too? Theoretically someone could
> die on purpose to hurt the team, but they'd probably be kicked out
> if they did, and would have such low teamXP if they did it
> regularly it's unlikely anyone would team with them in the first
> place), so not hurt your levelling.

> Anybody spot obvious flaws? Improvements?

Yes I like this idea, it's interesting. Having two XP bars though
may cause some problems when it's time to level up. You could go for
a long time before you level up if you do a little solo play and
then group play or you could gain two levels fairly rapidly if both
your bars are near full. This would balance it out but players would
complain about it for sure.

- Johan