[MUD-Dev] weapon choices (was re: DESIGN: Why do peoplelikeweather in MMORPGs?)

Matt Mihaly matt at ironrealms.com
Mon Jan 24 09:36:20 CET 2005

Amanda Walker wrote:

> I agree.  I'd enjoy RPG combat a lot more if it were more along
> the lines of DOA3 or Soul Calibur: fast, dependent on skill ...

That's how the combat in all the Iron Realms works. It's extremely
fast, the complexity makes Soul Calibur look simple, and it takes a
lot of skill and knowledge. The caveat here, unfortunately, is that
text is a lot easier to set up automation for than graphics. Nobody
has yet produced a combat system that can effectively attack
(integrating planning over a range of rooms is particularly hard)
but they have produced automated systems that can defend pretty
well. You could just choose not to use automation though, and you'd
find what you're looking for.

--matt