[MUD-Dev] realistic combat vs enjoyable combat

Darkwolf darkwolf at neo.rr.com
Thu Jan 20 22:21:40 CET 2005

Michael Sellers wrote:

> In gameplay terms, performance can be roughly equated with
> enjoyment, immersion, etc.  So if combat, say, is short or boring
> -- a matter of just clicking the mouse over and over again -- it
> quickly becomes a low-enjoyment situations.  OTOH if there are too
> many combat options, too many monsters, etc., then enjoyment also
> falls off.  In the middle is an area where the combat is neither
> too long nor too short, where the player has several meaningful
> options but not too many at any given time, and enjoyment is
> maximized.

The other thing that tends to get overlooked is different people
have moderately different levels of where those classifications
start and fall off.  What Joe Blow finds enjoyable Cindy Sue may
find absolutely a complete bore.  I think that highlights another
aspect of game development and society in general.  Hardly anyone is
acutally part of the "average"... most are above or below but we as
a asociety design things to cater to the middle ground.