[MUD-Dev] weapon choices

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Wed Jan 19 18:29:14 CET 2005

On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 12:07:20PM -0500 I heard the voice of
Amanda Walker, and lo! it spake thus:

> There are other aspects: numbers win.  In an actual battle (as
> opposed to a one on one duel), force concentration wins.  The
> enemy gangs up on you whenever possible, because the goal isn't a
> fair fight, the goal is to kill/capture/rape/etc.

Well, there are further aspects; first strike is worth an awful lot.

I often find minor amusement in a fight going on for dozens of
seconds after I start it by jamming a dagger (or sword!) into my
opponent's back.  If the first hint you have that there's going to
be a fight is your spinal cord being severed, then there's not going
to be a fight.

/Realistically/, if you're starting a fight against an unsuspecting
opponent with a sword or an axe or a mace, they're not going to be
able to fight by the time they realize what you're starting.  Even
mid-fight, it just doesn't take very many good whacks with a sword
to make somebody uninterested in trading blows.

But, that's not too much fun 8-}

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net