[MUD-Dev] Metric vs. English System of Measurement in Games

Lars Duening lars at bearnip.com
Fri Jan 7 04:38:51 CET 2005

On Jan 6, 2005, at 11:32 AM, ceo wrote:

> Not only is one foot approx. "length of an adult's foot" (which is
> highly variable) but much more usefully for young men (shrug) is
> the fact that many of us are very close to 6 foot in height,
> making it easy to measure things quickly and actually rather
> accurately by comparing them to your own height.

> Try doing the same when your height is 185cm...

Easy. I do it all the time - to the point that I mentally translate
people's heights in feet/inches into metric in order to visualize
them.

I think a lot of this has to do with what you are accustomed to, and
stuff like "length of an adult's foot" are mostly rationalizations
after the fact.

Cheers,
   Lars
Lars Duening; lars at bearnip.com