[MUD-Dev] UI scripting gone too far?

Koster, Raph rkoster at soe.sony.com
Tue Jan 4 18:26:12 CET 2005

Damion Schubert wrote:

> Having played WoW and used Thottbot, I would have to say that if
> Blizzard were to make a deal where they got the metrics about
> which pages were accessed most often, they'd have a pretty good
> list of which quests were too vague to complete.  Thank god for
> Thottbot, life's too short to pixelhunt in a building you're not
> even sure is the right place.

So this is interesting, and not least because it comes from you
(since I have fond memories of you closely watching over folks to
make sure they didn't cheat their way past quests on Worlds of
Carnage 13 years ago).

"Life's too short to pixelhunt" suggests that you're more interested
in checking off the quest on a list than in the experience. That in
turns suggests that either the experience just isn't that
interesting, or it's interesting but far less interesting than
getting the next ding. Which is it, and why?

I still daydream of the experiences with questing where the
"pixelhunt" isn't quite that reductionist and is something that
players want to do because it is challenging in and of itself, and
fun in and of itself.

I realize that you're really talking about poorly designed quest
experiences that do not provide sufficient hints, but it seems that
this is a general attitude that extends beyond that in the audience
these days. Another sign of the gameyness overtaking the
experienceness?

- Raph