[MUD-Dev] [bus][des] Anarchy Online and the free MMORPG...

ceo ceo at grexengine.com
Thu Feb 10 21:25:38 CET 2005

Johan A wrote:
> Adam Martin wrote:
>> Johan A wrote:
>>> ceo <ceo at grexengine.com> wrote:

> And your are mixing it up with your personal experience.

> Again, this must then be a 'new' problem when they made AO free as
> I have not experienced this myself.

I think you missed the point of the original post, which was to
re-evaluate and re-visit AO *as it is today* - the entire point was
to ignore whatever else it has been in the past few years.

It seemed a good thing to do because AO is currently an excellent
system for research and discussion (it's free to anyone to verify
and test anything!), and they have really stuck their necks out AND
are famous for "worst launch ever" pretty much.

And ... because AO doesn't get much discussion on this list, yet has
some interesting features (we've talked in depth about Raph's games,
about Dave's games, etc etc but very little about AO IIRC?).

>> That's irrelevant: if your game is properly written, the graphics
>> card will be used. Hardware acceleration is automatic if you're
>> doing 3D and has been around for more than 10 years as the
>> "default" for games development.

> I do not know a lot about how DX works. I do know I get FPS
> difference with my super expensive top of the line card an my old
> crappy card.

Fair enough. But you probably shouldn't reply to something about a
technology you don't know about, but which is used (in one variant
or another) for nearly all game development.

Adam M