[MUD-Dev] DESIGN: Player pyramid

Mike Rozak Mike at mxac.com.au
Tue Feb 8 00:28:40 CET 2005

Leland Hulbert wrote:

> I'd like to propose one other possible business model:
> Single-Payment for base-level players.  Since these players will
> be making their choice between your MMORPG and a single player
> game, price the box at a level to compete directly with single
> player games.  Include a similar fee for new content (sequels).
> Combined with the Newbie-flow you've mentioned, this may give a
> helpful cushion cash-flow generated by the big-spenders.

Good point, although I suspect this that most MMORPGs won't be able
to get retail shelf space. In the two game stores that are near my
house, which are small, I have only seen 3 MMORPGs on shelf at any
given time. Right now it's WoW, EQII, and Final Fantasy. They used
to have AC2, EQ1, and Horizons. This situation might be better in
the US.

Mike Rozak
http://www.mxac.com.au