[MUD-Dev] DESIGN: WoW quests and content

Johan A asteroid at rocketmail.com
Mon Feb 7 14:02:43 CET 2005

Damion Schubert <ubiq at austin.rr.com> wrote:

> Players who don't want to be led should have the option to go 'off
> the rails'.  For example, it's certainly possible to grind for exp
> and crafting ingredients, spend an afternoon PVP raiding, or just
> wander the world exploring the world.  But the quests act as a
> solid baseline activity for players to fallback on, when they
> don't have the time or energy to 'make their own fun'.

WoW is so quest dependent that if you want to run around and just
explore and kill whatever you happen to come across you will be
penalised for it. Quests give very good XP. As refreshing as WoW's
quest oriented gameplay is, I feel my path is very controlled, just
like a single player game. It is however nice to have things to do
while soloing but it is almost too set in stone. Questing is not an
option, it is as much forced as teaming is in games like EQ2 if you
want to make decent progress.

- Johan