[MUD-Dev] WoW and humor

Vincent Archer archer at frmug.org
Wed Feb 2 11:08:47 CET 2005

According to Amanda Walker:

> This is something important.  I, also, found that the plethora of
> inside jokes, obscure (or not so obscure) references, and general
> level of self-referential humor (many of the voice emotes, for
> example), reminded *much* more of classic MUDs than most current
> MMORPGs do.  Many current games, especially licensed ones, end up
> being terribly earnest about their setting and backstory.  WoW, by
> not taking itself entirely seriously, ends up being quite a bit
> more fun.

As I said elsewhere, the game is full of such allusions.

The best compilation I've found is at:

  http://members.cox.net/kemal/woweggs.htm

Some are real obscure, some are probably mere coincidence, but you
get the idea that the management did encourage all the content
designers to sprinkle their favorite show & books references.

	Vincent Archer			Email:	archer at frmug.org

All men are mortal.  Socrates was mortal.  Therefore, all men are Socrates.
							(Woody Allen)