[MUD-Dev] TECH DGN: Story detection

Max Battcher me at worldmaker.net
Thu Aug 18 02:17:03 CEST 2005

Greg B wrote:

> "Oh CharacterName1 your reputation proceeds you.  As leader of the
> GuildName you are a most welcome guest in our kingdom.  Legends of
> your war against the (MonsterName i.e. goblins) are well known in
> our land.  Is that the mighty WeponType WeaponName by your side?
> Is it true you vanquished the terrible UniqueMonsterName to win
> that prize? My friends in OtherKingdomName tell of your exploits
> there as well."

> I can imagine further relationship type elements being brought
> into the story.  Imagine that CharacterName2 is on your "friends
> list" in the game.  CharacterName2 has done a lot for a particular
> NPC and won great favor with that NPC.  When CharacterName1 first
> meets the NPC, the NPC might say: "Welcome CharacterName1, any
> friend of CharacterName2 is a a friend of ours as well.  She has
> done many great deeds for us.  How can I help you today?"

> This might even influence the subsequent dialog and possible
> quests given to CharacterName1.  That would make relationships
> even more important in the virtual world than they are now.
> Currently there is certainly a Player to Player effect of personal
> relationships.  This might go far to produce an actual Player to
> Environment effect from your personal relationships.

> All this would be amusing at best and not "deep" by any means, but
> it would be a step in the right direction.

> Perhaps this at least helps get the ball rolling.

Most of that is done in City of Heroes, particularly post-badges.
Most people I knew, back when I played it, didn't even
notice/realize that most of this existed.  People blew past the
story/narration of missions. People also didn't realize that
clicking on random NPC "crowd members" would often yield interesting
one-line discussions of your recent "exploits".  (The random NPC
clicks were also the only way I found to get accurate "zone time"
information if you were waiting for nightfall in a zone...)

As you said, though, amusing for me because I noticed it, but not
very deep.

--
--Max Battcher--
http://www.worldmaker.net/