[MUD-Dev] DGN : Atomistic Creation

Jaycen Rigger jaycen.rigger at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 29 04:14:12 CEST 2005

Thomas Tomiczek <t.tomiczek at thona-consulting.com> wrote:
> Jaycen Rigger wrote:

>> Does anyone see any obvious flaws with a system like this? Has
>> anyone tried something like this? Is it being done effectively?

> It is not going to be simple, and it demands that you define
> something like a physics/chemistry engine - not in the classical
> sense, but you need to record the attributes of the materials, and
> make some sort of mechanism for adding up the attributes, together
> with side effects.

Well, I know guys like Second Life have done an approximation of
physics (minus chemical combustion), but I don't have be that smart.

The crafting scripts will do the work of tallying up the totals and
sticking them on the item (they already write certain properties on
to items like who crafted it and it's quality).  The individual
scripts control what happens after that.  I already have functioning
scripts that total your weight and when you move your stamina
suffers from the mass.  Hit scripts check the damage on the weapon,
and sub-functions detract from the durability of the item.

Most of the things I'm talking about are already scripted and
working on my server now, but they're based on a generic entry in a
config file, i.e. all battle axes are copies of the same battle axe.
I want to make crafted items "more" than that.  I want to put that
power into the hands of the players.