[MUD-Dev] Dynamic Descriptions

Alistair Milne krug at krug.org.uk
Mon Apr 11 08:18:42 CEST 2005

Nathan Yospe wrote:

> In any case, I'd like to hear what others here think of having
> descriptions flow in a stream of awareness (from the character
> perspective) instead of as a periodic "room" spewed at them...  >

I'd have a problem maintaining the attention span necessary to play
that kind of game.  If the "room descriptions" are dynamically
changing with the gameplay (thus requiring more attention) and are
interleaved with your own actions instead of in larger-sized
discrete chunks, there's a risk I'd miss something important in the
spam.  It's different in a graphical mud, because at any time you
can glance around and recap, but reading back through a page of text
looking for the nuggets of information is much harder on the brain.
On my brain, at least ;)

Alistair