[MUD-Dev] DESIGN: The game with a thousand faces

Jaycen Rigger jaycen.rigger at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 1 07:07:56 CEST 2005

Mike Rozak <Mike at mxac.com.au> wrote:

> Can all the uniformity really be blamed on "my venture-capitalist
> made me do it"? Is there a single, deep local minima in the human
> psyche that causes almost all VWs to be fundamentally identical?
> Or are we so blind that we can't see/predict other local minimas
> without stumbling into them?

Yeah, that's what I've been trying to say in previous posts.  I
suppose I don't speak the lingo.

Ultimately, a lot of what I see - especially in respect to text-MUDs
- is only going to appeal to MUD players, and probably mostly just
to some small portion of that community.

There are several important reasons why Dungeons and Dragons
continues to attract audiences after all these years.  The basic
game addresses a lot of the problems you guys seem to face on a
regular basis.  Of course, in a pen and paper setting the Game
Master has more direct control over a much smaller group, so he
doesn't run into some of the problems you guys do on the
macro-scopic level.

However, the application of the fixes is almost the same.  For some
reason, the MUDders don't seem to grasp that.  It's not the
eye-candy, guys.

Yeah, I definately don't speak the lingo.