[MUD-Dev] Dynamic Descriptions

Peter Keeler scion at divineright.org
Fri Apr 1 05:41:45 CEST 2005

Quoting Bernard Graham <bernardgraham at gmail.com>:

> With "dynamic creation of worlds" I mean that I want to generate a
> whole continent by only giving the engine a set of parameters.
> Then it generates the continent complete from caves inside the
> mountains to sewers in the cities.  I am completely sure that this
> can be done (it might be a hell of a lot of work to create such an
> engine though).

> If anybody has ever seen something like this or played with it and
> have some pointers or ideas I'd like to hear them!

Check out John Arras' "genmud":
http://sourceforge.net/projects/genmud/

It uses a recursive generation algorithm that sounds basically like
what you're looking for. In my opinion (and don't get me wrong,
John, I adore your work) genmud didn't make a very fun mud to play
unless you were the one running it and you enjoy watching
simulations. I know I spent many hours just sitting and watching the
various civilizations developing. However, I think the idea
certainly has the potential to be a very fun game for regular
players as well... it just needs some work on the gameplay side of
things.

I've been tinkering with some ideas for my own codebase based
partially on inspiration I got from genmud for several years now,
but I won't bore everyone with details until the code is written. :)

  Peter

                   --    scion at divineright.org    --
 ICQ: 1824934 || AIM: ScionAltera || MSN: ScionAltera || YIM: scionaltera
   == PGP Public Key: http://www.divineright.org/~scion/pete_key.txt ==