[MUD-Dev] Shift in time

Mark 'Kamikaze' Hughes kamikaze at kuoi.asui.uidaho.edu
Thu Sep 30 21:43:19 CEST 2004

Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 01:45:59PM -0700
in <BAY15-F15chAHrey7dl00008ff6 at hotmail.com>,
Brian Lindahl <lindahlb at hotmail.com> spake:

> I've been reading a lot of the archives lately, and it seems the
> list has changed a LOT over time. Most of the initial discussions
> were mostly implementation and development driven and it appears
> that these types of discussions have dropped off recently. Most of
> it appears to be driven by how best to make a MUD addicting or how
> to gain the largest playerbase (the philosophy of what are good
> and bad features). As a MUD developer, I'm still very much
> interested in the development discussions we used to see around
> here and I was wondering if any of you out there feel the same
> way. I've tried several times to induce discussions of more
> development-related topics (database layers, ai, etc.) - but they
> barely stirred more than a sole person on the list. Where have all
> the developers gone?  Are you all lying dorment, or has the
> interest of the list shifted towards entertainment and social
> aspects of MUDs?

I've been working most weekends on my graphical MUD, and when my
current contract ends tomorrow I'll have even more time to work on
it.  But there isn't a lot of contribution to make at present.  I've
got a working event system, a large disk-cached world model, and the
client all working.  I have the mechanics and world detailed out in
my design book, but still have most of it to implement.

So I trawl the list for ideas, but there really isn't much I need to
ask at this point, and my solutions aren't particularly applicable
to most other MUDs.

--
"I think [Robert Heinlein] would take it kindly if we were all to refrain from
 abandoning civilization as a failed experiment that requires too much hard