[MUD-Dev] Shift in time

Peter A. Harkins ph at malaprop.org
Thu Sep 30 07:48:43 CEST 2004

On Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 01:45:59PM -0700, Brian Lindahl wrote:

> [...] Where have all the developers gone? Are you all lying
> dorment, or has the interest of the list shifted towards
> entertainment and social aspects of MUDs?

I'm also not much interested in much of the loftier theoretical
discussions.  My personal preference is very much development, and
I've been working in PHP. An earlier post of mine here is Google's
#1 hit on PHP muds, and I've chatted with a few people who've
started their own. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any one else
complete a mud yet. I think this is because PHP coders are largely
unexperienced, so we may see more in the next few years as these
coders mature. Just not much to say here at the moment.

On another topic, I'm doing a research project into the development
of muds and codebases and hope to have a public announcement in the
next two months or so.[1] It's most closely related to Martin
Keegan's Mud Tree (which is mirrored in the Kanga.Nu Library): a
web-based database of the development history of muds and codebases
with an interest in their relationships to each other. Once again,
not much to say yet.

If anyone else is currently doing work related to either of these
topics, I'd really like to hear about it -- it seems I've picked
some quiet niches.

  [1] I've mentioned this previously to a few people on the list but
  with shorter timeframes; my workload had some recent surprise
  additions that are slowing me down.