[MUD-Dev] Removing the almighty experience point...

John Buehler johnbue at msn.com
Tue Sep 28 18:27:17 CEST 2004

Matt Mihaly writes:
> John Buehler wrote:
>> Matt Mihaly writes:

>>> My point is that this is an issue that MMORPGs solved well over
>>> a decade ago. The problem is that most players -want- a grind,
>>> whether they know it or not. Obviating the grind requires, in my
>>> opinion, adding in enough of a free-form element that the very
>>> players you are trying to please will be turned off. For
>>> example, roleplaying is a grindless activity that is far more
>>> interesting, in my opinion, than bashing monsters. It's got
>>> literally endless variety to it, it's got drama, it arouses
>>> strong, substantive emotions, etc. And yet, the vast majority of
>>> players, who say they want all the things roleplaying gives,
>>> will not roleplay beyond some lame "these" and "thous". Same
>>> with PvP. Most players don't want challenge. They want to just
>>> win 99% of the time. Thus, the grind.

>> I continue to believe that future games will branch out and
>> explore a number of forms of entertainment that will coexist in
>> one virtual venue.  The roleplayers will have their support from
>> the game to roleplay, the competitors will have their support,
>> and so on.

> What do you mean future games? There are already lots of games
> that allow for lots of other forms of entertainment. They just
> aren't nearly as popular as the grindy ones.

To me that means that the entertainment return on player investment
of time and energy isn't high enough in those other games.  Current
grind games have a successful balance: low investment for low
return.  Because achievement as an entertainment stimulus is one
that has wide appeal, the grind games succeed.

I look to future games to be able to implement crafting,
exploration, stamp collecting, whatever, with greater skill (and
perhaps just fidelity) so that the return versus investment equation
becomes more appealing to players.  Will grind become more appealing
at the same time?  I don't believe that pure grind will.  I think
that achievement will be folded into a number of other forms of
entertainment.  We'll look back on grind as a meal of bread and
water as we enjoy a more varied diet that will only be possible with
the entertainment that can be provided in future games.

After all, I assume that there's a reason that computer games are a
niche industry, and that the virtual worlds genre is a niche within
that.  Computers just don't present much in the way of fidelity of
experience.  But they're creeping forward and getting better.  It'll
be interesting to see how multiplayer gaming will change with the
advent of the 3D experience.

JB