[MUD-Dev] Removing the almighty experience point...

Miroslav Silovic miro at puremagic.com
Mon Sep 27 11:55:54 CEST 2004

Mike Rozak wrote:

> Or perhaps players attracted to current MMORPGs are the type that
> likes the grind? How many people dislike the grind, know that
> "MMORPG => grind", and stay away?

> Having said that, I can also play devil's advocate and note that
> if there were people that wanted to play MMORPGs but which DIDN'T
> like the grind, there would be more grind-less MMORPGs or MUDs,
> and there don't seem to be very many of those.

> Or maybe the most profitable business models involve
> grind-seekers...

Well, many MUSHes are quite successful, and those don't have
grind. The only possible measure of achievement there is a political
climb, and you only keep up as long as you stay active (and sane! :)
) MUSH players and grind-MUD players have very few people in common
(one of them being me - and I can't back this up with statistics;
this is mostly inferred from conversations on both sides of the
fence).

I'd say that if you tried to put up a grindless MMORPG, you have a
big advertising problem: people 'know' that a MMORPGs require grind,
and you have to persudate them otherwise. Assuming you succeed, it's
reasonable to believe that you'll cater to an entirely different
player base.

Also, isn't a Tale in the Desert a step in that direction?

    Miro