[MUD-Dev] Removing the almighty experience point...

John Buehler johnbue at msn.com
Sun Sep 26 22:42:56 CEST 2004

Matt Mihaly writes:

> My point is that this is an issue that MMORPGs solved well over a
> decade ago. The problem is that most players -want- a grind,
> whether they know it or not. Obviating the grind requires, in my
> opinion, adding in enough of a free-form element that the very
> players you are trying to please will be turned off. For example,
> roleplaying is a grindless activity that is far more interesting,
> in my opinion, than bashing monsters. It's got literally endless
> variety to it, it's got drama, it arouses strong, substantive
> emotions, etc. And yet, the vast majority of players, who say they
> want all the things roleplaying gives, will not roleplay beyond
> some lame "these" and "thous". Same with PvP. Most players don't
> want challenge. They want to just win 99% of the time. Thus, the
> grind.

I believe that players are willing to invest of themselves in order
to be entertained, but only if the entertainment is suitably
appealing.  In the case of the grind, the players generally do NOT
want to invest of themselves in order to get the stimulus of
advancement.  Advancement is a minor form of entertainment, so
players generally aren't willing jump through many hoops to get to
it.  However, it IS entertaining to a broad group of people, and so
the massively multiplayer genre survives on a diet of grind.

I continue to believe that future games will branch out and explore
a number of forms of entertainment that will coexist in one virtual
venue.  The roleplayers will have their support from the game to
roleplay, the competitors will have their support, and so on.

How to ensure that a competitor is not obligated to roleplay, and
how to make sure a roleplayer isn't obligated to make stuff is still
something to be worked out.  It's important that it be worked out,
however, because players will bemoan being obliged to expect energy
on activity A-B-C so that they can enjoy stimulus B.  They will be
unwilling to face the 'challenge' of A-B-C because all they get out
of it is B.  I believe that players who want B will be up for the
'challenge' of B, where 'challenge' means 'investment of time and
energy'.

JB