[MUD-Dev] Removing the almighty experience point...

Ola Fosheim Grøstad olag at ifi.uio.no
Sun Sep 26 21:25:41 CEST 2004

ceo <ceo at grexengine.com> writes:

> IMHO most advancement in MMORPG's is for pleasure; where this is
> true, it is not merely a design crutch (although it may well be
> that too - "we need a way to keep people playing! Uh, how about
> levels and XP?").  Some games it's for score more than for
> pleasure, but they are the minority (off the top of my head).

Maybe pleasure, to some extent. In general I think it is more the
desire to be less mediocre. In a MMO, most are. "I don't want to
suck"... Hence all the references to "being a gimp", "I am a
gimp"... You even find "gimp" in character names.

Of course, I would rather your perspective to be the truth, but I
fear that the reality is a bit more ugly.

--
Ola - http://folk.uio.no/olag/