[MUD-Dev] Removing the almighty experience point...

Bloo bloo at kriegergames.com
Sat Sep 25 00:27:30 CEST 2004

Matt Mihaly wrote:

> Everquest is all about the grind, in a very single-minded kind of
> way, and it's quite popular. Is everybody playing Everquest an
> idiot that's out of touch with what he/she finds entertaining? I
> don't think so.

Um....I'll take the 5th in public.

> Doing quests to get xp to get higher levels is still a
> grind. You've just added an extra step. The problem, if you want
> to call it one (I don't, as I believe the population of current
> games clearly illustrates that most players like the grind,
> consciously or unconsciously), is that the current games offer
> largely one measure of achievement, and that measure is just a
> number to reach by adding to it incrementally. That apparently
> appeals to many players.

That's one way to look at it.  Another is that people will put up
with a lot to sort of 'play' something online that is escapist with
other people from the convenience of their homes.  In that way, the
grind is something tolerated rather than desired.

And the lack of grind-free options that are entertaining is another
factor.

I think people want to go where other people are.  That may mean
putting up with the asinine grind, so be it. That is not evidence of
grind-loving.

I think the challenge is creating non-grind games that engage
people.  The grind is easy.  Other things are hard.

-bloo