[MUD-Dev] Removing the almighty experience point...

Mike Rozak Mike at mxac.com.au
Wed Sep 22 01:41:29 CEST 2004

Vincent Archer wrote:

>>  - A resource that cannot be farmed by macros. (Yes, XP is a
>>  resource, just like money or iron ore.) Combat, at least for
>>  now, cannot be played by a macro. I doubt any game hands out
>>  general XP for something that is macroable.

> Asheron's call does. Or rather, did. Dunno if it's still done, but
> there were a couple dungeons where players couldn't get any XP;
> there were mages perched everywhere killing mobs on full
> automatic.

Never say never, I suppose. It doesn't make any design sense to me;
XP is often used as a tool to influence player behaviour, as many
posts in this thread have pointed out. If it's handed out free
somewhere in the world then it loses its impact.

Of course, if you think of XP as a reward (which it is, in part),
then you a) want to reward positive behavior, and b) NOT reward
positive behavior that the player would do even if XP were not
handed out. (In other words: There's no point handing out a reward
for doing X if it the players will do X even without the XP award.)

So what is positive behavior in a VW? Is killing hoards of NPCs a
positive behavior? Would the players still kill hoards of NPCs even
if they didn't get XP from the effort?

Mike Rozak
http://www.mxac.com.au