[MUD-Dev] Removing the almighty experience point...

Hans-Henrik Staerfeldt hhs at cbs.dtu.dk
Mon Sep 20 17:28:17 CEST 2004

On Friday 17 September 2004 21:00, richard at kavir.org wrote:

>> Some players will also find themselves locked out of higher
>> levels.  Unless they manage to master enough aspects of the game,
>> it is physically impossible for them, no matter how long they can
>> play per week, to access the higher end of the game (the elite
>> syndrome: only "skilled" players can be of high level), which
>> might discourage players.

> However I think it would work very well as an addition to the
> standard XP approach - a shortcut, if you like, for those with
> sufficient player skill.  For example imagine a mud in which each
> character had a number of weapon skills, which would normally be
> increased through grind - you could also provide a fighting zone
> where player could instead select trainers of different skill
> level at any time they wished, and upon beating said trainer be
> instantly advanced to a certain skill level in the appropriate
> weapon (if they hadn't already reached it).

> Thus I could spend several hours hacking my way through hordes of
> goblins to improve my sword skill...or I could travel to the
> fighting arena and select a swordmaster to fight against.
> Defeating a yellow-sash swordsman might increase my sword skill to
> 25%, while a black-sash might increase it instantly to 100%.  If I
> was skilled enough I could become swordmaster within an hour, but
> even the least skilled of players would eventually have the option
> of catching their character up with mine (although then, of
> course, I'd still have the advantage of player-skill).

Risking to repeat others, the online sci-fi game EVE has a model
where XP or levels does not exist in the traditional way. Your
skills are simply increased over time. You decide which skill you
will train, and it will=20 increase over time, even when logged
off. (this has benefits and drawbacks but it certainly is an
interresting model)

You could argue that the place XP holds in other games is replaced
by other elements in the game, such as f.inst. money and reputation,
where=20 the grind is often about earning money or reputation from a
given=20 corporation. In short, the level grind is gone, but the
grind is not...

--
--Hans-Henrik St=E6rfeldt