[MUD-Dev] Removing the almighty experience point...

Adam Burr madmanatw at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 00:13:11 CEST 2004

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 17:43:53 +0200, Vincent Archer <archer at frmug.org> wrote:

> Achievements are used to measure your prowess, game knowledge,
> mastery of your class, interaction with other players, whatever.
> Each achievement is individual and unique. A repeat of the exact
> same circumstances means nothing.

This is what really makes it different from an XP system, it seems
to me. Otherwise what you describe is also accomplished by having
monsters/activities go "grey"- where you get no XP for killing or
doing them. Thus they need to find a new "achievement"- level
appropriate mobs..

> That kind of achievement-based system behaves very differently
> from an XP-based levelling system. It rewards real world knowledge
> and skill, notably. An experienced player can roll a new
> character, and very quickly "level", by simply running to various
> places he already knows, and reproducing feats he's already seen
> by other players he grouped with.

That's kind of true in an XP system, just in that you know where the
level appropriate mobs are... but it does seem to be more so in your
system.

That all said, I really like this idea. Actually, I wonder (having
quit before I could see it) if this is at all similar to the Trials
in the DAoC expansion?

Adam Burr
Madman Across the Water