[MUD-Dev] Creating a Player Narrative

HRose hrose at tiscali.it
Wed Sep 15 08:37:19 CEST 2004

Dana V. Baldwin wrote:

> I can't really speak to the epicness yet, but we have done some of
> these things. One is that we put together a daily newspaper, which
> is a great metaphor for a war history game, and we fill it hourly
> with stories about the players and their exploits. All simple
> stuff pulled from the dbase and crossed with a huge library of
> stories.

> An out of game (soon to be in) tracking system that tells literall
> everything your personnas have done in game is nice. It is easy to
> completely cross reference every thing in the game.

I think that a nice idea could be to bring and develop all this
inside the client engine. for example it could be really interesting
to access all the informations that DAoC displays on the Herald
directly from inside the game, perhaps in specific locations like in
a big town.

I also always liked the idea of accessing the forums from both
inside and outside the game. The idea is to push all these resources
to be part of the game directly, instead of being an added tool that
you can access only from elsewhere and that isn't really part of the
game.

Journals and newspapers should be solid objects in the game world,
with an NPC selling them. You could also make an archive by
cataloguing all the newspapers published along the months. I
proposed a lot of ideas during the early beta of Wish, complete with
the smaller details.

-HRose / Abalieno