[MUD-Dev] Decision making...

Byron Ellacott bje at apnic.net
Wed Sep 15 03:37:58 CEST 2004

Mike Rozak wrote:

> A further question arises: Are griefers attracted to VWs because
> they are semi-autistic or sociopaths that have already been
> ostricised by their current tribe/clan in the real world?

I always considered griefers to be typically young males playing out
the alpha male role that modern society makes it hard to attain.
Griefer behaviour seems motivated by the same desires as schoolyard
bullying: having power over someone else.

It's almost certainly easier to find people to be more powerful than
in a time=power virtual world; just find someone who spends less
time in the world than you.

I remember in There some players would drive their dune buggies into
other players.  Is this sociopathic behaviour because of ostracism,
or an adolescent feeling better about himself by holding
(consequence free) power over another?

--
bje