[MUD-Dev] Dragon Empires is cancelled

Jim Purbrick Jpurbrick at climaxgroup.com
Tue Sep 14 15:33:11 CEST 2004

ceo/Adam Martin wrote:

> ...and there I was at the start of this year, starting to sweat,
> worrying that perhaps the mainstream studios had somehow found
> neat solutions to all the development, runtime, and ongoing
> maintenance/re-dedevelopment issues, thereby putting us out of
> business.

I think you're half right, the existing players in the MMO world
have their own tech and they seem to be content to stick with
it. The market for middleware seems to be people trying to get in to
the MMO market, like Climax and Codemasters. In both cases if they
were starting today I'm sure both WHO and DE would go with
middleware, but the picture was different 3-4 years ago when these
projects were started. Codies based DE on the Realm even though it
became much more than an updated Realm in the end. You know the
Climax position yourself.

> Shrug. A little doubt is good for you; ensures you never stagnate.

Absolutly. The competition in the MMO middleware industry would
scare me enough, even if there were lots of mainstream customers.

> However, I'm surprised by this one in particular - from my
> ill-informed POV they always seemed to have planned well and be
> executing well too. Was it just me?

Hopefully it was my exceptional game design that convinced you of
that :-)

> Were they in fact struggling, but suckered me with their excellent
> spin-masters skillfully manipulating the public image? :)

They certainly have excellent spin-masters :-)