[MUD-Dev] SOC Roll play vs. Role play

richard at kavir.org richard at kavir.org
Mon Sep 13 11:46:24 CEST 2004

--<cut>--
Note: This message was written via the list web archives.  There is
no guarantee that the claimed author is actually the author.
--<cut>--
Original message: http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/2004Q3/msg00756.php

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 11:39:55 -0700
"Matthew Rick" <mrick at carthage.edu> wrote:

[snip]

> For _whatever_ reason, Bubba and Boffo decide their characters do
> not like each other and end up in a duel.

> Bubba has been playing on the server for a long time and has been
> in many a duel, he's not necessarily the best dueler, but has a
> lot of experience (in game) doing it.  Boffo on the other hand is
> a new player and does not.

> Who in their right mind would assume that Boffo could possibly win
> except through incredible luck (an unbelievably good roll)?

It depends entirely on the mud in question, but you seem to be
blurring the distinction between player and character.  Bubba may
have been playing a long time, and may have fought in several duels
- but what if his character is a 50-year-old baker who only took up
duelling as a hobby a couple of years ago?  And Boffo may be a new
player, but what if his character is a 30-year-old veteran who's
spent his entire life training in swordplay?

But perhaps you're talking about the factor of player skill?  A
player who has more experience using the combat system is obviously
going to be at an advantage, but that certainly doesn't mean he'll
always win - perhaps Boffo has natural talent at strategy games, or
maybe he's discovered new tactics which Bubba isn't familiar with
(something which can be quite common in my experience, as older
players often don't keep up with the latest tweaks to the code as
much as the newer players do).

Then there's other factors, such as cheating.  Maybe Boffo isn't
such a good duellist, but he's got some skill with poisons.  Perhaps
he uses dirty street-fighting tactics.  Or maybe he doesn't cheat at
all, but instead spends time studying his opponent to find
weaknesses.

> I have seen this point argued a great deal (not necessarily on
> this list, but I am very interested in hearing what list members
> think), but have never read any compelling reason why a duel
> between these characters should be anything but a foregone
> conclusion.

The outcome of a duel should depend on many factors.  If Bubba and
Boffo's characters were real-life people, would you bet your home
and life savings on the outcome of the duel?  Would you bet your
life, or the lives of your family members?

> In fact, the only reason that I have _ever_ heard used to justify
> the notion that it should not, is that having the server determine
> results based on stats is "roll" playing (usually said in a
> derisive tone).

In tabletop roleplaying games, the term "roll-playing" is typically
used to refer to people who constantly use dice/rules at the expense
of acting out situations with roleplaying - but that doesn't mean
dice shouldn't be used at all.  Take away the dice (or other random
factor) entirely and you don't even have a game any more - you have
"make believe" or "lets pretend", like I used to play as a child,
where the participants shout "You're dead!", "No, YOU'RE dead!" at
each other until one or the other gets bored and gives up.

That's not really my idea of fun, and as such I cannot really answer
why anyone else would think it would be, except to point out that
different people have different tastes and some people are not very
tolerant towards styles of gameplay other than their own.

--
KaVir.