Fwd: [MUD-Dev] Distributed State Systems

Alex Arnon alex.arnon at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 11:49:31 CEST 2004

Michael Hartman wrote:

[snip]

> Bruce Mitchener wrote:

 [snip]

>> Why not just not crash?

> In addition to the fact that no platform could ever guarantee
> this, what about power outages, power surges, people tripping over
> cables, etc?

So are we looking at a cluster with N+1 (or N+M) redundancy here?
Tough problem for some domains, though possibly not for MUDs.  Would
a system which checkpoints the world state periodically, but which
has no redundancy whatsoever, be considered viable for a large scale
MUD/MMO? If so, what is the frequency of checkpointing you would
desire? Or in other words, how much game time (not downtime) would
players be willing to lose due to server failure before they start
leaving: 1 minute, 5, 10, 30 minutes?

If such a solution is acceptable, it solves some technological
problems - you could tune your architecture for performance, with
the addition of checkpointing logic (i.e., occasionally the DB
server would message the cluster nodes to start sending in their
changes to objects).