[MUD-Dev] Distributed State Systems

Michael Tindal mtindal at paradoxpoint.com
Sun Sep 12 08:52:26 CEST 2004

On Sat, 2004-09-04 at 18:33 -0600, Bruce Mitchener wrote:

> Perhaps you're looking at the wrong problem entirely.

> Why not just not crash?

> That's a far nicer solution to your problem and is pretty
> feasible.

> You can design your system that it runs on a stable kernel that
> never changes and so that the code running above it won't trigger
> a segfault.

Even in a non-stable provided environment, sandboxing code can
prevent crashing.  I've already done that :).  Everything outside of
the very very core stuff runs in a sandboxed environment under a
highly stress- tested core kernel.  The goal isnt so much to prevent
crashes (its more of a side-effect than a goal), its to allow
scalability.  I thank you all for your suggestions, however, since I
started this thread I've done a lot more thinking and redesign so I
think I have the solution (and in case I don't, I have about 3 more
to think about) to my problem.

Again, thanks for all of your support!

Mike