[MUD-Dev] SOC Roll play vs. Role play

Matthew Rick mrick at carthage.edu
Fri Sep 10 19:13:46 CEST 2004

I've been thinking about the roll/role distinction a lot recently,
and have come to a point where my mulling can no longer continue
without some input from others.

Basically, I'm stuck with the question:

Bubba and Boffo are players in Mud/muck/moo/m*.

For _whatever_ reason, Bubba and Boffo decide their characters do
not like each other and end up in a duel.

Bubba has been playing on the server for a long time and has been in
many a duel, he's not necessarily the best dueler, but has a lot of
experience (in game) doing it.  Boffo on the other hand is a new
player and does not.

Who in their right mind would assume that Boffo could possibly win
except through incredible luck (an unbelievably good roll)?  I have
seen this point argued a great deal (not necessarily on this list,
but I am very interested in hearing what list members think), but
have never read any compelling reason why a duel between these
characters should be anything but a foregone conclusion.

In fact, the only reason that I have _ever_ heard used to justify
the notion that it should not, is that having the server determine
results based on stats is "roll" playing (usually said in a derisive
tone).  Well and fine, but what then is "role" playing?  Does not
the role of a novice inherently imply that he would not be as
skilled as someone who is an expert in a field?

My specific questions (which are probably rhetorical, but even I
can't be sure at the moment) are:

  1. Since Boffo is ultimately deciding how good his character is at
  dueling whether or not he gets to do so explicitly (ie whether he
  decides this by fighting a lot of duels and developing in game
  dueling skills, or through a mush like player created story) is
  the distinction between these systems a false one, if so, why is
  this distinction perceived by so many, and what ultimately draws
  so much derision from "role" players towards "roll" players?

  2. What, precisely, is the draw of a game with no rules (as I
  perceive mush/moo style games to be, if this is not the case, feel
  free to jump all over this and make me look like a fool, I don't
  mind, I'm used to it)?

  3. While I must admit that there is probably a lot of drama and
  intense roleplaying going on in the mush/moo environment, is it
  really that logical to assume that similar ammounts of tension do
  not exist in a mud as well (I can still vividly recall the details
  of some of the higher tension encounters I have had with several
  players in Aetolia especially Rofomagus (his underlings and mine
  clashed on several occasions and if my character could have been
  said to have an arch enemy it would certainly have been him,
  although I found the player to be a charming individual), even
  though I have not played that game in over two years now).

I really must apologize if this has already been covered, but I have
not finished reading all the archives (although I've been making a
concerted effort to do so, but I think my boss at work may be
starting to notice *grin*).

Matthew P Rick

  PS Sorry for rambeling... the Aetolia comment is for Matt, as I
  never got the opportunity to thank him for the months of immensly
  enjoyable wastes of time his games have been.