[MUD-Dev] Dragon Empires is cancelled

OWEN, Matt, FM Matt.OWEN at rbos.com
Thu Sep 9 11:23:45 CEST 2004

dienw wrote:

> Another one is falling down:

>   http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=us&q=dragon+empires

Is the cancellation of this, and all the other previous hi-profile
MMORPG cancellation, money related? or is there something else ?

I'm hoping it's mainly money related, and not other technical
hurdles. The beauty of the hobbyist side of MUDs and MMOGs is that
money is rarely a factor (well it is to a degree, but a lot of us
just choose to ignore it over our passion for the craft ;) ).

What I'm saying, in my usual bumbling way, is that I hope all these
aborted professional projects don't put off the legions of
bedroom-mud-designers who are now starting to turn their skills to
making home-brew MMORPGs. I'd like to see in a few years time,
hundreds of at least half-decent amateur projects up and running
that people can actually play, offering a greater freedom of choice,
unlike the current crop of professional games that are basically the
same game in new clothing. To some extent the Game Design world is
becoming Hollywood in it's fear of innovation.

-Jaruzel.